Monday, July 20, 2009

Ruminations...


Someone asked me recently what aspect of my time in the games industry I remember most fondly. My knee-jerk answer to this sort of question is "Halls" but for a change I thought about it and there really is only one thing (aside from Halls) that still amuses me every time I come across it, and it is this couple of sentences that Psi and I wrote for the story line of Dr Strangefruit:



Strangefruit removed a dog-eared, loose-leaf notebook from an inside pocket and placed it reluctantly on the desk, as if parting with an art treasure of great value. Pratt reached over and picked it up, holding it by one corner, as one might retrieve a piece of used toilet-paper that had missed the bowl. It was not in keeping with Pratt's idea of documentation and did not appear to merit being on such an executive desk. "Might I ask what this is about ?" asked Pratt, who didn't want to have to read it to find out.



Well, there you go. More fun contained in a single paragraph than some of my complete games. We don't write 'em like that any more...

3 comments:

  1. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the god-like Terry Pratchett himself couldn't do better, so let's see - call it, um, a sixth of a page, so that's a good 0.06% of a novel we have there...

    Just need to work on the stamina and we could be onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that desk. IKEA never even got close did they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. [Shudder] Just as well, if you ask me...

    ReplyDelete