Saturday, January 05, 2008

Software challenge?

While watching scrapheap challenge it occurred to me that we should do a software version so that programmers wouldn't feel left out.

Something along the lines of having them trawl the web for scraps of obsolete and buggy source code, then bodging these poorly-understood fragments together to make a flakey application that can be made to do something badly after only an hour of tinkering, and which is then thrown away as useless.

We could call it "programming"...

1 comment:

  1. A programmer read that in front of me and, after a longer pause than I expected, instead of laughing (as I kind of expected) came out with:

    "You know, some programming is actually more like that than you might realise..."

    [sigh] Being a hardware engineer by default I was sorely tempted to introduce him to the concept of irony using a soldering-iron.

    ReplyDelete